Port Hope - Empire Crossing
Cook – Empire Crossing in Port Hope, Ontario
Candidates are invited to apply for the Full Time Cook position at Empire Crossing a retirement community, located in Port Hope Ontario. The Cook will use strong communication and skills in team work as they prepare fresh and delicious meals for our residents.
By joining Esprit, you are contributing to a community of neighbours who quickly become friends. Your genuine positive attitude will contribute to our inviting atmosphere. You are committed to food quality and take pride in setting high standards in our kitchen and dining room and will be knowledgeable of the often complex dietary needs of seniors. Most importantly, by joining Esprit, you will help people live better!
You present as polished and professional and demonstrate the essential values of patience, and compassion. You genuinely want to support our residents as they enjoy our full range of services within our well equipped community.
As a The Cook your typical day will involve the following;
- To prepare food following standardized recipes, sample food prior to each meal to determine palatability and serve nutritious meals for residents in a safe and attractive manner.
- To work within a set budget, limit waste and adhere to residence policies and procedures including being knowledgeable and practicing fire and safety programs.
- Review menus and set-up equipment and supplies for daily food production. Ensure meals are served on time, at appropriate temperatures and in portion-controlled quantities.
- Assume responsibility for routine departmental operations in the absence of the Executive Chef including menu changes as necessary and ensuring that these changes follow departmental procedures as necessary.
- Monitor the quality of food supplies received and the proper operation of kitchen equipment. Alert Executive Chef to problems and make recommendations concerning corrective actions.
- Maintain required records in the absence of the Executive Chef, e.g., menu changes, purchase orders, delivery receipts, temperature checks.
- Responsible for the clear and correct labelling of excess food.
- Check and record food temperatures daily on a rotational basis for mealtimes as per Health Promotion Act:
- Hot food to be served at a minimum temperature of 140°F or 60 °C.
- Cold food to be served at 40°F or 4°C
- Adhere to established policies and procedures.
- Perform duties as outlined and any other related duties that may be assigned from time to time.
To match our Qualifications, you will possess
- Current Safe Food Handlers certificate.
- Demonstrated understanding of/empathy for the needs of seniors.
- Experience in quantity food preparation.
- Familiar with Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating and therapeutic diets.
- Ability to direct and supervise others.
- Ability to understand oral and written directions.
- Ability to lift heavy objects and stand and walk short distances throughout the day and to tolerate heat from kitchen area.
- Must be free of communicable diseases.
- Familiar with Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP), Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS), Occupational Health and Safety, and Sanitation Code.
- Culinary designation/diploma or equivalent designation is an asset.
- Previous employment in a health care/hospitality setting an asset.
To find out more about Esprit Lifestyle Communities please check out our website, Linkedin page and Instagram account:
CLOSING DATE: January 14th 2022
*In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Esprit’s Policies on Accommodation, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of Esprit’s hiring process.*