Esprit’s Privacy Officer is responsible for the following:
- Promote Organizational compliance with Ontario’s Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) and the Federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
- Provide Operational support for requests to access and modify personal information and issues concerning personal information
- Work with the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner during an investigation of a privacy complaint against the organization.
- Promote activities to foster privacy and security awareness and compliance within the organization.
- Collaborate with legal counsel in handling any Privacy Office investigations of the organization regarding privacy.
Please contact Esprit’s Privacy Officer at:
Esprit’s Privacy Statement
- We have clear accountability for personal information
Esprit is responsible for the personal information it holds, and adheres to several policies related to privacy and the confidentiality of resident and client information. Esprit’s Privacy Officer oversees compliance with the following privacy principles.
- We are clear about the purposes for the collection of personal information
When Esprit collects your personal information, we will identify (and if requested, explain) the purposes for the collection at or before the time of collection. These purposes include: direct client care, administration, statistics, as well as compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- We ask for consent for the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information except where inappropriate and unnecessary
Your knowledge and consent (or that of your legally authorized representation) are required for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
- We limit the collection of personal information
Esprit will limit the collection of personal information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified. Information will be collected by fair and lawful means.
- We use personal information only for the purposes you consented to unless the use for disclosure is permitted or required by law
Esprit will not use or disclose your personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, unless your consent, or as permitted or required by law. Esprit will keep the information only as long as is necessary to fulfill those purposes.
- We endeavor to maintain complete and accurate information
To the extent reasonably possible, Esprit will take steps to ensure that your personal information is as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as necessary for the purposes for which Esprit uses it
- We take steps to safe guard the personal information we hold
Esprit will protect your personal information with security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
Upon request, Esprit will provide you with specific information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- You have the right to know what personal information we hold about you and the right to request access to it
Upon request, Esprit will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information and give you access to that information at a reasonable cost and within a reasonable time. You may challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate
- We respond to concerns and questions
If you have any inquiries, requests or complaints regarding Esprit’s privacy practices, please contact Esprit’s Privacy Officer by e-mail at Privacy_Officer@extendicare.com or by phone at 905-470-4000 or in writing at:
Esprit Lifestyle Communities
3000 Steeles Avenue East